so i was sitting in sacrament today, and it was fast and testimony meeting. john had to go to work, so it was just me and the kids. arys turns to me and says "mom where is jesus?" and i looked at her and said, "well, you can't see him, but he's inside right here, (and pointed to her chest)" and she said "inside my tummy?" and i said "ya, sort of". and i just got that ovcerwhelming feeling that i should go bear my testimony. (i think that's what kids are for). however, i am scared to death to get up and talk in front of everyone (my family in particular) so i fought it and fought it and kept making excuses up like "i can't leave my kids down here by themselves" (even tho i was sitting by many friends and family members) then the feeling slowly was going away. and i made the final decision in my head and thought "if i am really supposed to bear my testimony, john will walk in the door and come sit with us to watch the kids so i can get up there"... and of course, i knew he was working and woudln't walk in. the feeling quickly went away. and i knew that i made those feelings go away. i felt really bad all day, and wished i had the courage to go up, but me being scared just over came me. i know i will say something stupid, or stand up there and bawl through it and not get a word out. and even tho i may feel prompted to get up and bear my testimony again, i'm sure i will chicken out again and fight my urges.
i would love to hear how any of you get over nerves to get up and talk in front of everyone. and if you've ever had experiences like this, TELL ME so i don't feel totally alone on this one! i always hear " i was fighting the urge to get up here....." but in my head i'm thinking, "but you're up there, so you are so much better than me!!"
Sunday, November 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
Linds! Everyone gets scared bearing their testimony. I hate talking in front of people! (which is dumb cause you know how loud and crazy I am) Recognizing promptings and acting upon them can be one of the most challenging things in life. But don't think you are the only one who has ignored a prompting but at least you recognized it was the spirit. And now next time you will be able to recognize those feelings and remember how you felt afterward and not ignore them. We must always learn from our mistakes. However it is definitely easier said than done, but that is where our faith comes in. We have to teach Sunday school and hate it more than anything. But i do know that it has helped strengthen my knowledge and faith in the gospel.
Oh my goodness I have the same feeling! I always start with a bunch of jokes or funny little stories about my kids and get the people laughing that way when i'm up there crying my eyes out, they will still be laughing about my jokes! haha!
Oh my gosh Linds! You are preaching to the quire. I always feel that way, and I ALWAYS ignore it and I always regret it. I cry too and say stupid stuff but you never know maybe someone there will get something out of it and It probably helps to do it constantly and you will get over it? maybe? I'm not even sure this is good advice!
I never do it because I'm terrified. Seriously. So don't feel too bad!!
Post a Comment